Erin and I are reading the same chapters each night and then blogging about our quiet times. It's great to share this experience with a friend. Not only will she hold me accountable if I don't keep up...I enjoy blogging about because I can share these intimate quiet times and then reflect on them.
Thankfully, Erin suggested www.biblegateway.com to me yesterday because my Bible was packed away and not easy to get to. It's a great way to look up a verse or even read a chapter or two when you're online. Check it out!
I'm going to start with the Book of Ruth, Chapter 1. I've never read the Book of Ruth so I was quit ssurprised to find how much I enjoyed it. Like Erin, and I copied this from her blog, this verse stood out most to me:
"Where you go, I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me." ~Ruth 1:16-17
It has been a long time since I wrote about what I've read in the Bible so I'm going to do my best here. This passage to me was beautiful. Ruth was expressing her devotion, love, and service not only to her mother-in-law but to Jesus. When you become a Christian and give yourself to the Lord you put behind your life before you knew him. And although it may be difficult at first in return you will have a fulfilling life with God.
Personally, the idea of walking with the Lord and putting behind my "normal lifestyle" is a little scary. People may ask why? Why would becoming a Christian, knowing God will be your constant companion and Loving God be so scary? Well....when change is supposed to occur (ie, give yourself to God, follow his word, and be an example) that isn't part of my normal daily routine. But Ruth is an example to me. Her mother-in-law Naomi told her to go back to her life after her son died (Ruth's husband) but Ruth refused. She knew taking on new people, a new God would be hard but she did it anyway.
I have not read the rest of Ruth but I know it will be good. I'm looking forward to it.
I enjoyed Psalm 1 and John 1 but I am not able to elaborate on them right now. I apologize. I will continue this blog later this evening. What I will say is that I am excited to take on this adventure and I know God is watching, listening, and smiling!
Lindsay
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment